Sunday, September 21, 2014

We are officially homeschooling this year!

Who been following us, and especially our friend on Facebook, they know that we are homeschooling all 7 children this year.

It was not very smooth and awesome in the beginning. We still have our "bad" days, but there is more good days now, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I can clearly see it :) so it's all so worse it.

I don't have a degree in teaching, and English is not my first language, so we all struggling here.
Kids struggling-because they are not use to do everything and all their assignments, and they had many excuses at school to not do their assignments, and it's just not working with me :) I am not asking to do everything perfect, but I am asking to at least try and I know what my child is capable of learning and doing. So kids are working very hard and trying to complete most of their work during our lessons.

I am struggling also, and everything is completely new for me. I am good at math, so it's easy. Only one of my children is behind with math and rest of them learning quickly.

I am not so good with science, and history. But I am learning to love these subjects. I can honestly say, that after 5 weeks of homeschooling I am just starting to enjoy science and history. First 3 weeks of our homeschool, I barely touched science and history textbooks. It's not like I don't like these subjects, or textbooks, I just didn't know where to start. I wasn't comfortable teaching these subjects, because I never learned those materials myself. As of today we are behind with science  but I am hoping to catch up soon.

English is something that we are learning together also. When I move to US, I was almost 16, and did attend only my 11th and 12th grade in America. I never had a chance to learn all these nouns, pronouns, and proper grammar :) Now I have a chance to catch up :)

Overall I love homeschooling our children. I love to see my kids all day long, and spend my time with them. It's awesome opportunity, and I am thankful that we have this time together.

There is still so much to learn, and so much to work on, but with God's help we can do it! I am sure that we will not get things done on some days, and I am sure that we never be perfect homeschooling family, but it's not what is important now. Peace in our house, peace in our hearts, are more important! I see how our kids transform, I see how they grow spiritually, and I have more time to teach them about God! All our adopted kids enjoying being home, and staying closer to mom. In this short time since we started homeschooling our kids they are much calmer, and we see them grow emotionally and starting to make better choices in their actions.

I am thankful for many many friends who did help and still helping us, guiding us through all the steps of homeschooling.

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you! Praying God will continue to give you both strength and wisdom! Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, in our homeschool we did The Story Of The World audio cd's. Kids would listen to them while building legos or doing something around the house. They learned so much from those audio lessons that when our situation changed and they had to attend public school for one year, kids called on of my sons "book of knowledge" because he knew so much. He told me that a lot of it he learned from audio cd's. I never bothered to purchase additional textbooks or workbooks to go with the cd's. My kids greatly benefited from audio lessons along. And it was easy for me because I never had to formally teach them history. That was through middle school. In high school we started Mystery of History audio series.

    ReplyDelete